Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Double Space

Often as adults we forget that kids don't always understand what we are saying the same way we do.

I am reminded of a teacher training video I saw once. The mother is talking about how they live at the intersection of a busy street. She has repeatedly told her son to not go to the corner. One day she is upstairs cleaning, while keeping on eye on her son who is outside playing. When she looks out the window, she sees him once again skipping towards to the corner. She immediately chases him down.

Upon catching him she scolds "How many times have I told you to stay away from the corner?"

Her son responds with, "Mommy, what's a corner?"

My oldest loves to write so she chose to take a creative writing course. One day we found her very frustratedly typing her assignment. "This is so stupid. My teacher wants us to double space it".

Upon further investigation we found the source of her frustration.
She was typing a word , doing two spaces and then typing her next word.

Yes, a pain! (I typed the previous sentence that way but it auto corrected itself when I published and I can't find a way to turn it off)

She was very relieved when we explained what double spaced meant.

3 comments:

  1. That's funny. Good thing she said something before she did that whole thing like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good story. I remember one time when I was teaching a primary lesson about sharing, I asked the six-year-olds how we could share our time with others. A little girl said, "Oh! Oh! I know how! If someone doesn't know what time it is, we can find out and tell them!" She was right, that is one way we can share time with others.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...