It has been an interesting weekend. In our neighborhood we have had a convert baptism, the funeral for a lady, who died after battling breast cancer. I have also dealt with the news of a dear friend possibly moving and last night I attended my oldest first young women's fireside. I can't believe I have a daughter that old. I originally sat down to edit an entry I started about some accomplishments of my girls but my thoughts keep wandering.
Awhile back I ran across some suggestions to put in a blog. One was to write why you started a blog and this is what my thoughts keep going to. So in a round about way I will answer that.
I have been reading blogs of family and friends for about two years now and love it. Beside the obvious, that it helps me keep in touch, I love it because I am constantly getting ideas. Ideas of things to do with my family, recipes to try, etc. I have also found that often the words of others addresses feeling/concerns I'm currently dealing with. Their word's inspire me and I want to try to be a better person.
I had such an experience this weekend. My husband currently serves as bishop of our ward. This calling comes with it's own unique challenges and adjustments. I was surprised though to find how it has effected me in one particular area. I have had a hard time with the recognition(or more accurately the thanks) my husband receives for the work he does. Don't get me wrong I feel that he deserves and needs to be told how much the work he is doing is appreciated. Being a bishop can be trying physically, emotionally and spiritually and he needs all the support he can get.
My thoughts lately though have been on the lines of what about what we go through as a family to support him. Often what I do is what is expected in the role of mother but that doesn't mean it isn't easy. This weekend I was feeling especially guilty that I even felt this way at times. I came across this blog entry. Knowing that someone else felt like they would like to have the everyday work they do recognized was just what I needed to hear. Surprising this alone was all I needed. I don't really need the recognition but more the validation that this is normal and okay to feel that way. Yes, being in a supportive role of any kind. Whether it is of a spouses calling, work or school is difficult and it's okay to feel that way at times.
I feel like I am fairly new to the world of blogging but learning fast the ins and outs. The very reasons I love reading blogs are the same reasons I have waited so long to start a blog. I have felt very inadequate. Inadequate in my ability to know how to do it and inadequate that I wouldn't have anything worth writing about. So why then did I choose to start a blog? It certainly wasn't because I love to write. I prefer to communicate in writing for I can proof read but I definitely don't feel like I'm the greatest writer. Each week I help out in my daughter's school classroom. One of the main things I help with is editing and I am truly learning right along with the kids.
Anyway, one day I was on facebook and my oldest asked to see my page, which is fairly sparse. She commented, "it seems like you spend most of your time reading about others and not doing anything on yours" She was right.
I have been blessed with a wonderful mom who is an avid journal writer. I was good at this until I became a mother but now my current journal is sparse. In fact anyone reading it wouldn't even know that I have had my last two kids. I have often sat down to write in my journal but feel as if I need to catch it up and that task is too overwhelming. I have kept baby books for all my kids and each month put highlights into a monthly family letter my grandfather compiles. But my daughter's comment got to me. Are there things in my life I will wish I had recorded? More importantly are there things my kids will someday want to read about our life's and maybe be a help to them?
The answer was a resounding, Yes!
I decided that since I love reading blogs I would ignore my feelings of inadequacy and give it a try. I have found I love it and enjoy tapping into my creative side. Thanks to those who have shared their two cents worth on their blogs and blessed my life. And thanks to a daughter who helped me delve into something I truly enjoy!
Keep at it, it's worth it. All of it.
ReplyDeleteLove this post. I've been hoping you would start a blog for a long time, so I'm glad Karebear helped you get started!
ReplyDeleteI think sometimes, especially Mormon women feel guilting for having a particular FEELING. It's just rediculous. Validate your feelings. It DOES stink to be the wife of a bishop. He's never home, people love him while you're sitting on the bench with whine-ville. And then maybe work on working around that feeling. But, validate it. It's OK to have whatever feelings. :)
ReplyDelete