For what it's worth here's something we have done for awhile now. It involves this:
Wait! before you stop reading just remember this post. None the less, though, we still have a lot of powdered milk in our food supply. Just sitting there, getting old. How do we rotate this?
I have attempted to rotate this by keeping some mixed up in my fridge for cooking but we don't go through it very fast. We tried adding chocolate to it and drinking it but I don't like chocolate milk either.
One day, while shopping, I was once again regretting that I had to buy whole milk for my son (it is recommended that children for the first year after they turn one have whole milk to help brain development) in the half gallon size. He LOVES milk but we still can't go through a gallon fast enough before it went bad. The gallon was so much cheaper though. Then it dawned on me. A way to solve two problems.
First you take a 2 quart container.
Fill it halfway (1 quart) with water.
Add 2 cups (we do two 3/4 cups to be exact) powdered milk.
Then find this trusted kitchen utensil
We have a plunger style pitcher but things always
tended to clump up in the plunger.
My husband, who does the dishes, got tired of cleaning this.
He experimented around and found the whisk works beautifully.
Whisk until smooth.
Then fill the pitcher to the top (ie. add 1 more quart of water).
We then plunge a little, but a spoon works just as well.
(See no clumps!)
Pour into a clean gallon jug
and add a half of gallon of whole milk.
I don't notice a taste difference. Especially if I alternate the mixed powdered milk and whole milk as I pour it in. Instead of buying 4 gallons of milk a week I buy 2. At an average price of $1.75 a gallon (depending on sales and where you shop). I figure we have saved about $180 a year.
Very smart! You are going to save so much money! I didn't realize that milk was so cheap in UT until we moved. In PA, there's a state minimum price for milk, and it's around $3.00 depending on the kind. I've yet to buy a gallon for less than $3.35! Maybe I'll have to search for powdered milk.
ReplyDeleteThis is just the tip I've needed to find! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI use it in recipes that call for milk, you just add it with the dry ingredients, and just add water to replace the milk. It saves a fair amount, and in recipes you can't tell a difference. {and no whining from the family}
ReplyDeleteJenny, Ouch! I'm glad I don't live there.
ReplyDeleteSybrina, I hope it works for your family as well.
Hilary, I haven't had any whining from my family since we starting mixing milk this way. Half my kids wont drink milk in any form but they do love it on cereal. Having it cost less for this is just that much better. I use powdered milk in recipes a lot as well. What a great idea though to add it in dry. I've just always mixed up the powdered milk first.
We started that years ago and then one day we just switched and nobody said a word. We've been making morning moo ever since! In fact I took it to girls camp and nobody ever even noticed! Good Job Kara!
ReplyDelete