Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Our Little Princess


Courtney Ann
7lb 5 oz
20 inches


Tuesday March 6, 2012 I woke up at about 6:15 am and proceeded to make the girls' lunches. All during this and scripture study I started having contractions about 5 minutes apart. After about 20 minutes,  I told my husband  that I was having a lot of contractions. He left to take Karebear to school, since she had missed the bus, and I proceeded to pack a few last minutes things in the bag, explain things to kids and get them ready to head over to grandparents where they could finish getting ready for school. As soon as Dad returned, we left Jolly J here at home to finish getting ready and hopefully make the bus. We dropped the youngest three off at grandparents about 7:15 am and then headed to the hospital. During which I continued to deal with some pretty strong contractions about 5 minutes apart.

We arrived at the hospital about 7:45 am. While getting settled in, the contractions seemed to get closer. When the nurse checked I was at a five and her response was, "Yea, you'll be staying." Expecting a few more hours of labor and things were already pretty painful I requested an epidural. In the time it took for the anesthesiologist to come, things got extremely painful. I remember commenting that I have no desire to do this natural anymore. Finally, the anesthesiologist came.  He had me sit up and immediately things were very painful and I felt it very low and in my legs. It was so hard to sit still. The anesthesiologist was great, working so fast and patient through my complaining.

Once the epidural was placed the nurse checked me and said you are complete. She then took a closer look and realized that my water had broken and there was meconium. During this time the baby's heart rate had dipped into the 80's. I kept hearing multiple inquires if my doctor had made it to the hospital. One nurse replied that a nurse practitioner that works with my doctor was in the hospital. I remember hearing the nurse ask should we go ahead and deliver since the babies heart rate was in the 80's and had been for about 3 minutes. Another doctor at the hospital (that wasn't my doctor) came into the room and the nurse told me to push. I remember my husband telling me her head was out but I couldn't really feel it. I guess the epidural had just barely kicked in in time for her to be delivered by the nurse. The nurse suctioned her mouth and then one push later I heard a cry. The best sound in the world! My doctor then arrived. Just in time to say congratulations! Access that I hadn't teared and declare time of birth as 8:36 am.

Just a little over 2 hours of labor and my legs went numb just after she was born. Probably could have done it without the epidural but who knew. At this hospital they check over the baby and give her the first bath all in the room. It was so nice to be around to see this whole process and have my husband with me after delivery instead of off with the baby.She was deemed completely healthy which was great news!


Monday night I remember wondering, before going to bed, if my body remembered how to go into labor. I never expected that it would happen during the day. It was very convenient for we were able to get the kids off to school and were rested but of course things were so fast I didn't even have time to brush my hair or put on make-up.

Such a joy to introduce her to the whole gang that afternoon. 



This was probably my easiest delivery to recover from. So different to not feel completely exhausted after delivery. It is interesting that she looks just like the rest of the girls. Fit the mold. She is the smallest of all the kids which is just a perfect size for me!



She is never at a loss for someone to hold her and has a perfect protective older brother. 



It is hard to believe that it has already been a whole week. Babies just grow way to fast. We are doing our best to just enjoy, treasure and make memories with this precious gift.

7 comments:

  1. I've been waiting anxiously for this post! :) I especially love the picture of big brother & baby sister. How precious. We are so happy for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh she is so DARLING! I love her beautiful hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara, I am SO happy for you.
    Glad she's here safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are glad she is finally here. She is beautiful and I'm glad you have so many helpers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks so cute and healthy...I agree, she looks like the other girls especially Tator I think. And you look really great right after giving birth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you, and how fun to have so many helpers! Should make things so much easier for you! And I also just have to share that when I was 13 I hoped to have twins someday (so naive), one of which I was planning to name Courtney! ;) Still love that name! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh she is so adorable! I loved reading all the details about her birth. amazing you had time to get the epidural in! so glad she is healthy, you're not pregnant anymore, and you're recovering well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...