I have a confession to make.
(I forget to floss)
I have periods of time where I'm really good and other times were I just don't seem to remember. Yesterday we had our 6-month check-up. I was not looking forward to this, for as you can guess, the last six months I have forgotten to floss. I didn't look forward to sitting in the chair and having the hygienist once again scrap tarter from my tightly spaced front teeth (mind you the only place that really seems to be affected by if I floss or not). I really didn't want to be asked, "How's the flossing?"
I know I should do it. I know there really isn't any excuse not to. I know the health benefits. I know all that. Sometimes I just don't take or have a few minutes and sometimes I just plain forget. I am one of the few lucky ones who can say I've never had a cavity (knock on wood). I'm sure, about now, most of you are thinking, "No cavities. Worried because she hasn't flossed. Oh what a hard life" (yes, I'm being sarcastic).
It wasn't so much the not flossing as the reminder that I have Another area of my life that is lacking. I don't know if it's the beginning of the new year and the whole new years resolution, goals thing or what? Over the last few weeks I have truly felt the pressure to do better.
I sit in church and hear how we need to daily study and strengthen our testimonies. I admit that I have often let my calling be the main motivator for gospel study. On Sundays, I currently serve as the primary pianist so I don't have a calling that can serve as my crutch. I don't have to study the gospel as I prepare for a lesson and I also don't have the opportunity to fill my spiritual bucket by listening to a lesson. I have felt to make gospel study more a part of my daily personal life.
I have an interesting mix of kids. Two of my children are blessed with a high metabolism (I guess). They can eat anything they want. They, of course, are also the ones who don't eat very much. Another two have a much lower metabolism, LOVE food and can out eat me.
I remember something from a college class on food and nutrition. Our professor said we can control the when and what of food but we can't or shouldn't control the if and how much. I don't know if I whole heartily agree with her, but I understand what she is saying. I have felt like we eat fairly healthy and I don't provide special things so we all are provided with the same types of food.
At a recent Doctor's appointment for one of my kids I was basically told the weight of one of my children was concerning and I should do better. I'm not sure I have a lot of control but we have evaluated areas and started to make some improvements for our whole family in terms of food and exercise. I am also getting a tougher skin as I deal with the whining that comes from children as they try new foods and are told no sometimes to their desires.
Anyway, back to the flossing, basically my feelings where such that I really didn't want to be told by someone else.... here's another area you should be doing better in. I already knew it, but it was just one more thing in the ever present list of things I was already trying to improve.
If I was feeling that way, what about my kids?
They have a lot more people with expectations. Teachers at school, parents at home, coaches. They are constantly being told what to do and how to do it better. I know just in this last week I have been after my kids to do better at keeping their rooms organized. I've heard myself say things my mother used to say. Such as, "It's just as easy to put it away correctly the first time as it is to set it someplace where you have to put it away again later."
I am currently preparing my students for a piano recital. I have been pretty picky and sometimes hard with some of them in hopes that they practice and put the polishing touches on their pieces. My own kids probably take the brunt of this just because they live with me. I can rush in whenever I hear something they can improve.
I remember a friend commenting once that she tries to make sure she compliments her children every night. I don't know that the demands on ourselves and our children will ever change but I know I can do better at pointing out successes. I know I love to be complimented and have someone notice what I have done.
So...yesterday I endured my hygienist's (whom I truly like) gently reminding. As I tucked each one of my kids in bed I spent a few minutes with each one. As I retired myself, I went to bed with a resolve to compliment, in some way, each one of my children daily and to floss.
Good points, Kara.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm a faithful flosser, but I have had way more than my fair share of cavities! Darn it.
I have to tell myself that there is a time and season for everything. I'm in survival mode most days. Someday we will have time to floss...
ReplyDeleteI needed this reminde - just yesterday I could only think of all the things one child could improve on. It did make me think what is it I could do better.
ReplyDeleteToday I was reminded, by you, that I could take time and thinks of and recognize the good in this child.
Thank You Melissa
Great blog entry Kara. I am really trying to work on the positive reinforcement.
ReplyDeleteAnd not screaming my head off. :)