Here's what Karebear made.......
Through the course of preparing for this I have collected a lot of towels. I have give-a-ways on the brain so your in luck. It's kind of a thank you for those who read my ramblings.
If you would like a hand crochet towel here's your chance. You can even request a certain color or pattern on the towel, if you have a preference. You know just in case you may want to match your kitchen or if you have an aversion to certain things-say sunflowers. All you have to do is leave a comment. Simple, easy. Your name will then go into a drawing.
Since I love to cook. You can increase your chances by leaving a family favorite recipe. Nothing fancy, just something your family loves(No, not everyone has to love it. Let's not attempt the impossible). So leave a recipe or if you choose post in it on your blog. Just link it back to here so I know you did it. You'll then get your name in the drawing twice.
I'll keep this open for one week. That means you have until midnight June 6.
Here's a family favorite recipe of ours to get you going. It originally came from a secretary at my kids school. We all love it! And have yet to bring it to a function and not get asked for the recipe.
Sunshine Salad
1 large package cook-n-serve lemon pudding
1 small package instant lemon or vanilla pudding
1 small package orange jello
1 cup milk
1 tub cool whip
1 (7&3/4) oz. can mandarin oranges (drained)
Make cook-n-serve lemon pudding according to the directions on the package. Dissolve orange jello in 2 cups boiling water; add to the pudding. Mix together and put into a 9X13 pan. Refrigerate to set. Mix small pudding with 1 cup milk, add cool whip and spread over top of set jello/pudding mixture. Top with mandarin oranges.
I think I learned to crochet when I was a beehive too. I'm so glad it is still being taught. I got out my crochet hooks last week to make some cute flower clips for my girls hair. I'm very rusty!!
ReplyDeleteBy the way...I love your "ramblings". I can laugh and relate to every one of them!
I don't think you want to send something in the mail but I'll give you a recipe. I don't know if I've shared my recipe for ww bread but it is so good. Very soft. (I'll email it to you as an attachment so it is easier to read.)
ReplyDeleteHoney Whole Wheat Bread
3 C Whole Wheat flour
1/3 C gluten flour (I just use about a cup of bread flour)
1 ½ T instant yeast
2 ½ C hot water (not really hot or you’ll kill the yeast)
1 T salt
1/3 C oil
1/3 C honey
1 ½ T lemon juice
3 C whole wheat flour
Directions:
Mix together the first 3 ingredients in a mixer with a dough hook. Add water all at once and mix for one minute. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Add salt, oil, honey and lemon juice and beat for one minute. Add last flour one cup at a time, beating between each cup. Beat for about 10 minutes until dough pulls away from side of bowl. This makes a very soft dough.
Preheat oven to lukewarm (about 170 degrees) and then turn off. Turn dough onto oiled counter top. Divide into 2 loaves and place into 2 4x8 greased bread pans. Place in warm oven to let rise for 15-20 minutes, until dough reaches about ½ inch above top of pan. (sometimes I’ll put a pan of boiling water on the bottom rack to help it to rise better – especially in the winter.) Do not remove from oven. Turn oven on to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes (start timing when you first turn on the oven, not when the oven reaches temperature). Remove from pans and cool on rack.
Note – I use a combination of white and red wheat. I used all white soft before and it is just way too soft. I’ve never used gluten flour but the bread flour works really well.
Lisa-You'll have to share how to make the flower clips. Those sound fun!
ReplyDeleteWrayLynn-Of course I'll mail it to you if you win. Thanks for the recipe. I have been trying out whole wheat recipes lately. In fact I just tried that recipe this morning. My kids like the one I made last week a little better. Here's where I got that recipe from: http://everydayfoodstorage.net/2009/03/11/making-homemade-bread-the-food-storage-recipe-challenge/food-storage-recipes
Here's a recipe I got years ago from Jen Nielsen, that I have passed along many times now!
ReplyDeleteIngredients:
boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
potatoes (any kind), also cut into bite size pieces
baby carrots (or cut big carrots into chunks or coins)
The amounts are not really important--I just combine enough to fill a 9x13 dish.
Mix chicken, potatoes and carrots together in a bowl, along with 1/3 cup oil and 1 packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix, and a sprinkle of garlic salt.
Bake at 400 for about 40 minutes.
And yes, ALL of my family members love this! :)
Hmmm... Kara- - try your sister's bread and let us know how you like it. :)
ReplyDeleteI am going to try that everyday food storage one next.
And, I just had a flashback that you made me one of those towels for my wedding. It hung on our fridge forever! I always thought of you. :)
Kara - I copied that recipe straight over from my computer. I actually find that using the gluten helps so I use it. I'll have to check out the recipe you posted as well. And, I use 1/2 white wheat and 1/2 red wheat.
ReplyDeleteKara, I got the instructions for the flower clips from a youtube video. They were so easy. Here is the address: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwK4hxUd07s. I have seen them all over in boutiques and they are expensive to buy.
ReplyDeleteRebecca, That recipe sounds good. I can't wait to try it.
ReplyDeleteHilary, I'm glad you used the towel.
Lisa, Thanks for the link. I'm definitely going to try these. I wish I had seen this before I helped the YW. I think they would have been an easier project for the Beehives and something they could have personally used.
Do you remember that blue barbie doll dress you made for me a long time ago? I still have it. Here's a good pasta recipe that Brent loves.
ReplyDelete1 lb rigatoni pasta, cooked
1/2 lb bacon, cooked and cut up in bite size pieces *save the bacon grease
1/3 parmesean cheese, grated
1/3 mozzarella or romano cheese, grated
4 eggs, beaten
In a large frying pan, combine pasta, bacon, and bacon grease. Add parmesan cheese & stir well. Let cook over medium heat for a little while. Add other cheese and stir well until cheeses are melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and stir in the eggs. Don't scramble the eggs, just gently stir them in so they bind together to make a sauce.
These are so useful, and I don't know how to crochet! I need to learn...Anyways, I posted a recipe on my blog! (for that cake roll I made on Memorial Day).
ReplyDelete