Monday, July 23, 2012

Laughter is the best medicine

The summer is flying by. There is officially only one more month until the school bell rings. For my kids, this summer can definitely be termed the lazy days. I don't know if it's having six kids or what but it seems all I can do just to make it through each day. Some days just trying to get dinner leaves me frazzled. Pretty sad since during the summer my kids do most of the cooking. I try not to feel guilty about the "extra"  things I want to do with my kids such as day trips, water parties, cooking, creative playing that don't seem to happen near as much as years past.


Princess turned four months the first part of July. She celebrated the day by rolling from her back to her tummy. Now many of her naps are cut short since she rolls in her sleep and will wake herself up when she gets stuck on her belly. This combined with a major growth spurt (I think) has made for a long two weeks. She has been up at night every two hours for about two weeks. This weekend she finally slept for four hours. I guess that's why I am even attempting blogging. Can finally form a coherent sentence.


We have spent the last few weeks in and out of doctor offices trying to determine why Tator has had a very large circular, flat, not itchy, red rash all over body. Plus, an intermittent fever, headaches, fatigue and decreased appetite. She had to go through getting her blood drawn for lab work. Thank goodness for a great lab technician who kept her laughing through a scary time.  I guess we brought home more than just souvenirs from back East for she was diagnosed with Lyme disease. Lyme disease can be difficult to diagnosis; especially since we don't see it much out here in the West. We never actually saw a tick but travel plus her symptoms plus two different tests that show she has antibodies for Lyme disease warranted the decision, from the specialist we saw, that it would be best to treat her.

Luckily the treatment is pretty simple-antibiotics 3 times a day for 21 days. Unfortunately, Tator hates medicine. The taste of many liquids makes her gag so we went with the chewable. She, of course, hated these as well. Being the kind, sympathetic family we are we just told her to deal with it. Thankfully, she has been creative in coming up with ways to take her medicine and has learned the old saying a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down really does work. Thank goodness for candy!

I read this recently: "the next time your tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of those around you more enjoyable."
-Elder Wirthlin

I have been trying to do better at this lately. Some days are better than others. Here's a few things that have brought a smile to my face as I try to make it through the day-to-day.



We have been trying to go to the library for the craft time and canopy capers (outside story time while you eat lunch). I used to really enjoy the canopy capers when they brought in story tellers.Now I just endure while my four year old enjoys it. They start it with joke time. Here's a couple that made me laugh

How do you wake up Lady Gaga? 
  ( poke her face)

What do you call a mommy who eats cookies in bed?         
       (a crummy mommy).



Each day as part of our reading time Tator and I read from the scripture stories books.  One day we were reading about the priesthood and how church leaders have the priesthood. Tator asked,

 "Is that true?"
"Yes"
" What if they do something wrong?"
" They would need to repent."
"What if they don't?"
"Then they might have the priesthood taken away from them."
 "What if they start running really fast?"



Tator came in with her hair standing up. "Look at my hair- it's ecstatic!"

As we were leaving to go to Sam's club Tator said, "Is that the store with the examples?"




From the mouth of Bud Boy:

"Look mom it's white broccoli!"(He was holding cauliflower)

"I have a booger in my ear"




Here's one my dad shared when we got together for our Fourth of July celebrations.

What do you call an , agnostic, dyslexic, insomniac?   
             
(A man up all night wondering if there really is a dog)






And speaking of fourth of July celebrations it was a very reflective fourth of July since it was exactly one year ago we found out we were going to have six kids. Kind of fun to relive the feelings and emotions of that time. So glad we were blessed with our little princess! I just love to watch how each one of her siblings interact with her in their own way.


2 comments:

  1. I only have four kids and I can barely make it through the day this summer.

    Glad they found a quick diagnosis and treatment for Tator! I hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, lots of stuff going on! That's crazy that it was Lyme's disease. I didn't realize/remember that you found out you were pregnant last 4th of July. Neat memory.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...