Thursday, December 6, 2012

I'm Glad You Came

I dropped my six seven (just had a birthday) off at school, yesterday, at a different spot than our normal one in front of the school.  I dropped her off on the side of the school. There is a chain link fence that she has to run around and then it goes straight onto the playground. As I drove up to the fence, I was assaulted with a memory of when I used to drop my oldest off for school. We used to drop her off at this spot all the time and just inside the fence would be a small group of girls waiting for Karebears grand arrival. What a joy it was to see interactions as they headed in to start a fresh new day of socializing and fun (oh and probably some learning).

There was no group of friends waiting to greet Tator but I still enjoyed the few minutes I sat and watched her before heading home. After running through the opening in the fence, she spotted the swings and ran straight to them. After sizing up the open swings she picked one a little too high for her. She tossed her backpack onto the ground and maneuvered first one leg and then the other up and into the swing. She then convinced a friend to hand her her backpack which she placed in her lap. She then sat there, swaying back and forth, taking in the world.

It was then that I noticed the song playing on the radio. The words of the chorus pierced my heart (and were stuck in my mind all day)

The sun goes down, the stars come out,
And all that counts, is here and now,
My universe, will never be the same, 
I'm glad you came, came came


While not really what the song is about, it was the reminder I needed of how what counts is the here and now.  I am so glad each one of my children have come into my life.















1 comment:

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...