Thursday, September 25, 2014

Forever Mine



A few weeks ago we attended the Ogden Temple open house. This past weekend, all but the youngest two, were able to attend the re-dedication of this temple. In the session I attended, we were reminded what a remarkable thing it is to be able to dedicate a temple. The speaker commented that the church isn't building as many temples so this is a special experience for us to participate in. I needed this reminder for it seems lately that we have been privileged to attend a lot of temple dedications. I think I went into this dedication with a commonplace attitude in regards to the temple but left the dedication with a renewed sense of how special they are.

My husband and the four oldest girls went to the 1st session of the dedication. The girls then babysat and my husband was good to go again with me to the 2nd session. Upon returning home, we saw this surprise when we opened the door. A little treat after "our date" What a great bunch of kids I have!


I have been extremely busy lately. I have to constantly remind myself to enjoy this stage of life. Since time is going so fast and I have so many demands on my time I worry I'm not appreciating the good parts of life and I will regret it when my kids are gone. I worry I'm not taking enough time to talk with my kids, just be with them, laugh, be in the moment. Sometimes being a mother of 6 is frustrating and I worry that I let that attitude show through too much.

I have many fond memories of  past ages and stages. I also remember a lot of days that I wondered if they would ever end. How was I going to make it until nap time, let a lone bedtime? Now those days are gone. Hard to believe that stage of life, that seemed never ending, is over. I'm still just as busy and physically taxed, it's just in a different way.

I already feel like my kids are so grown up.  I just finished potty training our last child. Won't miss that process but how did she get to be a big girl?

I have started dropping my two elementary aged kids off at a different spot this year. It is the same spot I used to drop off my oldest for first grade. The last few mornings I have been  flooded with memories of her friends lining up outside the chain link fence to greet her each morning. I used to watch them interact for a few minutes before heading home.

My oldest is now a senior in high school. She is doing a photography internship where she comes home a couple days each week to work from home. This gives me a glimpse of what college life will be like. Seeing her occasionally throughout the day or maybe only once ever few days if she moves out.

During the re-dedication I heard Elder Holland speak of a time when they took their son through the temple to receive his own endowment. Sister Bonnie Oscarson  shared things she had learned while serving with her husband as temple president. I found myself reflecting and getting a little excited for what my life will bring. While I have fond memories of days gone by I'm looking forward to the new relationships I will have with my kids as adults. I look forward to growing old (well maybe not the old part) with my husband. Being one of those old couples I see out walking as I make 3-4 trips each morning getting my crew to various schools. I look forward to maybe serving in a calling together.

It was good to be reminded this weekend that no matter how much and how fast our relationships change that I was married in the temple and able to have my family with me eternally. That truly is one thing that makes temples special. I needed this reminder  to enjoy my family and have peace that they will always be mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...