A fish pond can be a fascinating thing. The longer you look the more you see. Here's a chance to see more of our lives and for us to remember the things beneath the surface.
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Eleven Years Ago
I have often been told that children are born in a way that is similar to their personalities. I never really gave much credit to that statement. As my children have gotten older I have come to understand what people meant. This day has been a day of reflection for 11 years ago my second daughter entered this world in an unexpected way. A whirlwind, I'm going to do it when I want, how I want, right now kind of way....
On the night of Jolly J's birth I went visiting teaching. While visiting our last sister I started to have some regular contractions. I walked home and told my husband what was happening. After a 21 hour labor with my first, the Dr. advised us that this labor would be about half that so we figured we had a little time. I went to lay down and my husband got our first ready for bed. When he came to check on me it was obvious that things were progressing quite quickly so we made preparations to head to the hospital. But, first I had to go to the bathroom. (I was pregnant after all). Unexpectedly my water broke and I could feel my baby's head.
Things are pretty much a blur after this but I know my husband called 9-1-1. We didn't have a cordless phone at the time so he couldn't stay on the line and help me in the back bedroom. At the time we had a neighbor cop. He was on his way home and heard the dispatch call. He came over to see if we needed any help.(Talk about getting to know your neighbors. Thankfully he has moved away). Anyway, he was a great blessing that night for he was able to get 9-1-1 on his radio and they were able to help my husband through the delivery of our child. The paramedics arrived just in time to cut the cord. One paramedic took it upon himself to hold our daughter. He wouldn't let my husband hold Jolly J. Something we always thought weird for he had just delivered her. The other paramedic accessed my situation and arranged for transport to the hospital. The intended place for this delivery. All in all from start to finish it was an hour. It took me longer to write this post then to deliver our daughter.
On a side note. This was back in the days when ER was a popular show. This happened about the same time as the beginning of this show. Our neighbors commented that they weren't quite sure if the sirens they heard that night were on the TV or not. Sorry we made some miss that episode for as they put it the "paramedics took forever" to come out so they could find out what was going on. We often get comments that this must have been a cheap way to go. It actually was more for we had an ambulance bill. For two people in fact- mom and baby. How many people though, have their dad's signature as the "delivering doctor".
True to her delivery, Jolly J is very much this personality. She is one of my sweetest, tender hearted children. Of all my kids she will be the one to say thanks and give compliments. Along with her sweet side though is a determined, explosive side that wants things done HER way. We have had many times where we have butted heads but through it all, the ups and the downs I have learned a lot and would do it all over again.
So on this day birthday wishes go out to a daughter who loves a good thrill, willing to try anything, has a knack for doing hair and always strives for perfection.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

One of our nurses just delivered her own baby. When she tells the story I get chills. Makes me want to deliver at home myself, until I think about all th risks. So glad it all came-out fine! :) Have your other ones been as quick?
ReplyDeleteTell her happy birthday from us! Jenica is such a fun, sweet girl, you're right! You'll have to tell her that Steve bought me a Ripstik, so we'll have to come over and do it with her again.
ReplyDeleteJessica, I will let her know. She will be excited about the Ripstik.
ReplyDeleteHilary, I too have heard some pretty amazing stories of home births. They can be neat if they are planned. Thankfully we were watched over and had no complications. About a year after she was born I woke up in the middle of night in hysterics as it hit me what we went through and all that could have gone wrong. My other kids have been about 4-6 hrs. As can be expected after this experience, I have always headed into the hospital way early. With my last two my labor stopped but rather than risk things by sending me home they just started pitocin.
I remember this story well! Doug always says that Roman knows something about almost any subject, and that would include delivering babies! :)
ReplyDelete