Sunday, June 20, 2010

Fix it Daddy

I remember being told once, You often marry someone who is like your father. In many ways that is true for me. I grew up with a great dad! He was ever willing to talk- more specifically listen. He was (and still is) always willing to give us help when we need it. He is also a hard worker and a handy man of sorts.

When I was twelve my parents decided to add on to our home. You could say that they added a second home the addition was that big. I remember my dad often working on this, a little here and a little there amongst the many other responsibilities he had. What I remember the most is that I never felt like the addition took precedence to us kids. And of course we have some great memories of "helping" him.

They are still, to this day, working to complete this. Talk about the patience my mom must have. We have been working on our home for two months and I am So ready to be done. I am very grateful though for a husband who is also a handy man of sorts. He has truly put any spare minute into our home so it can be completed quickly.

(How we know Grandpa D best-ever willing to take us camping and hiking)

Like my dad, my husband is a great father who can often be found helping our kids with homework and projects. He spends many a nights up talking with the kids or should I say listening as they give a monologue of their day. Around here he is known to be able to fix about anything. There is forever a pile of broken toys on his dresser for him to glue.

I remember when my youngest was just a few weeks old. My then two year old was helping as I changed our newborn's diaper. I saw that his cord had fallen off. I excitedly pointed this out to my daughter. Her response was, "Daddy fix it."

 (The thing we love the most is that he makes us laugh)

When I was dating my husband, my father counseled, if you want an idea of what he will be like look at his father. I guess you could say it was a good thing my husband had a great father and now I have a great father-in-law.

How many of you have a father-in-law that cooks Sunday dinner for all the local extended family (and whatever neighbors grandma has the grand kids deliver food to)? He also loves to talk to about anyone and tell stories of his past. This is a quality my husband has inherited. He too can talk and relate to about anyone. I know it helps him in his current calling.











(Grandpa is known for telling many school children about the Native Americans)


On this Father's Day I am so grateful for all the men in my life that help to make things run a little more smoothly. Whether it's handy man skills, house work, or just being a listening ear and giving that needed comfort and support. I truly couldn't live without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...