By now you have all seen the photos, read the news stories, and in your own way mourned and discussed the tragedy that united our little town Friday morning when the Provo Tabernacle caught fire.
Early Friday morning my two year old snored me out of bed at an hour that I would have preferred to still be sleeping. While I was slowly making some sense of the morning, my oldest came running down the stairs stating that the radio had announced that the tabernacle was on fire. My husband turned on the news and one by one we gathered around the television. My five year old said, "What about conference?" (many of the stakes hold Stake Conference at the tabernacle, ours is in just a few weeks). We also thought how our school's choir was supposed to have a concert at this building the first of the year. Truly this was a building that was well used and loved by all members of our community.
Late Friday night we took the opportunity to drive by the tabernacle. I was surprised to still see flames through the windows. As we sat in the parking lot kiddie corner and reminisced my thoughts centered on one thing. How fast life can change.
Lately, my thoughts and prayers have been centered on some pretty specific decisions I have been trying to make. The Lord answers prayers in is own time and way. As I patiently and faithfully continue on with my life, I have come to feel an overwhelming peace. I have also felt very strongly that answers will come but for now I just need to enjoy what I have. Oftentimes in life we can say something but it is an entirely different thing to feel it.
The last few weeks I felt in increase of love and appreciation for my children. I have found myself actually just enjoying the time I spent doing the things they want to such as playing games with toddlers and reading books. I have felt an increase of patience for tasks I often feel consume a lot of time such as helping with homework late into the night. As my husband put it the other day, "it is time we get to spend together". Sometimes it's not what we do but the time we spend together. I have known this but truly had a hard time not just wanting "to get it done" when it's day to day tasks. Especially when they aren't necessarily on my to do list.
We never know what lies ahead in life. We just need to enjoy and appreciate what is here today. Life brings changes and it is so much easier to handle them when we know we have memories without regret.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting!