Last night I tried out a new recipe. Tuna Casserole . I was feeling pretty proud of myself for my day had gone as planned and I had actually gotten dinner ready before teaching piano lessons. (Yes, I attempt to instill my love of the piano on some very understanding kids). Not always am I this prepared for dinner. It's more of a last minute scramble and we have something easy like, pancakes or chicken nuggets and fries. I'm sure my kids wish every night was that way. Anyway, back to feeling pleased that I had something prepared that I could just slip into the oven during my last lesson. Start the broccoli to steam and Voila! a healthy nutritious meal ready when everyone was starving.
Much to my dismay, when my family came in from their scheduled activities I was greeted with, from almost every kid one after another, "What's for dinner?"
"Tuna casserole" I replied.
This was the slew of responses I got:
"I hate that." (whine) To which I responded with, "You have never had it, I tried a new recipe."
"We just had that last week." (whine) Again I responded ,"No, this is a new recipe. I have never made it before."
"I know it is the same, it has potato chips on it, that's the only thing I like anyway."
"Ewwww! why can't we have something else?"
You get the picture. In our house we have a rule that everyone has to at least try it. Try it means three bites. So as we proceeded to eat I reminded everyone of our rule. In meal making I also try to have something on the table that each person likes, even if it is bread. That way after they "try everything" they can have something to eat that they like.
As the meal proceeded, I then explained to the kids that I don't mind being told they don't like something. I do, however, tire of the complaining about food before you have even eaten it. I try very hard to provided food that you like but not all of you like the same things so some nights there will be food you may not like that others do. I then asked that if they want to remind/tell me they don't like something to do it after they have tried it and in a kind way.
At the end of the meal. Which by the way most of them liked. Even my youngest actually ate his portion and asked for seconds. Right now he is pretty picky and wont eat much unless it fruit, noodles, bread or yogurt. My oldest must have listened for she said, "This actually isn't that bad. It's not my favorite, but it isn't that bad."
I don't know if it will stick but I figured it's at least worth of try.
That is exactly what happened here the last two nights. I tried some new recipes, and all I got was complaining before they even tried it. Of course after they tried it they all loved both meals and asked if I would make them again. Silly kids.
ReplyDeleteYep! Happens all the time at our house. My favorite was the time I gave K something for lunch, and he retorted, "I didn't order this!"
ReplyDeleteMy kids complain about almost every meal. Oh well. They always end up eating it!
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't get a nutritious dinner on the table on time every night...but I have one kid, not five! I like your 3 bites rule. I think you handled the situation excellently.
ReplyDeleteI saw the comment you made on my flourishes blog. Making a blog look "cutsie" doesn't take that much work. I can email you some info if you want. And I love reading your posts! I say just post whatever you want to share with others, and even if someone else posts something similar, your post will have your own elements in it, and not all of your readers read all those other blogs.
Grrr. I hate that too.
ReplyDeleteConner, latley, has been saying stuff like, "this smells like socks"
Thanks, thanks so much Conner.
I then tell him I will enjoy the meal he cooks me the next night.
That usually quiets him down.
At my house, it's not the little ones who are picky. Doug hates tuna casserole--any variation on it. And he always likes bread with any meal. (He's not as picky as I make him sound. Tuna casserole is really the only thing I make that he just doesn't want to eat...so I never make it anymore.) And Katelyn is often the one I have to coerce to "try a bite" of something she claims she doesn't like. I've heard of someone calling it a "thank you bite". I like that concept.
ReplyDelete