Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Moving

Growing up I shared a room with two sisters. My younger sister and I had bunk beds and I slept on the top bunk. I remember many nights lying in bed thinking about who I would marry and where I would live. In my mind, marriage meant I would live someplace different and probably far from home. After all that was what my parents did. The met each other at BYU and set up home not close to either of their parents.

Little did I know I would marry someone, not originally from here but whose parents had moved here after his mission. He already had a job here and so we stayed. I have lived in the same town my whole life.

We built our house thirteen years ago. I remember soon after we moved in commenting I wasn't sure if I wanted my kids to go to school on this side of town. I had grown up on "the other side of town"(what a bunch of baloney). My husband's response was you'll have at least five years before we have to worry about that. We'll probably be moved by then.

Naught!

We're still here and the schools aren't the bestest, greatest, thing, but they have been right for my kids. In fact, in some ways I'm glad they aren't going to the same schools I did.

We have often discussed the possibility of moving. There are things I would love differently in my home. Of course the priority of some things changes according to the ages of my kids. 

Over the years we have seen many changes to our neighborhood and had many close friends move. Each time one of them moves I go through the same scenario of evaluating moving.

So why haven't we moved?

I'm glad you asked. With any major decision there are disadvantages and advantages. It takes a leap of faith and hope that the advantages will out weigh the disadvantages. In order to make that leap of faith it requires peace. Peace is the reason we haven't moved, for the peace in regards to moving has not come. Just the opposite.

So...... No, this isn't an announcement that we are moving. Although, I am packing and moving furniture as we finish painting and prepare for carpet installation. I think moving would have been easier.

"Will we ever move?" is a question my kids ask.

All I can say is, "I don't know".

All I know is that for now we are at peace and know that remodeling was the step we were to take. Changing some of the things we want differently in a home, or at least the things without much structural changes. I can't live through that much construction.

I know the longer we stay the harder it will be to leave this home and it's memories, but for now it is where we are supposed to be.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going through the same thing with some of my neighbors moving. I get so attached and it makes me sad. I even started looking online for houses even though I am pretty happy where we are. I just have to hope that if we are supposed to be somewhere else, we will know too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving is hard. And good. I never expected any of my moves--never thought I'd live in Utah after college, but we bought a house in Provo. Got to a point where I thought we were there for good, and then SURPRISE, we moved to Seattle. NEVER thought we'd come back to Utah, but as you know...Here we are! At this point, I've stopped guessing about what the future holds for me! :) I believe that being content with life, the way it is right now, is one of (my) life's greatest lessons.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...