They were huge!
We had gotten our garden in a little late this year. Before our week long vacation, the plants were only half this size. They truly must have had perfect weather while we were gone. As I was trimming these, I was excited to see many green tomatoes. Can't wait until they turn red-there truly is nothing like the taste of a home grown tomato!
My daughter has been doing a Young Women Personal Progress value project this year and working in the garden with us. It has been so nice to not have to coax her into helping. I am looking forward to having her help to can tomatoes and marinara sauce. Only fitting since spaghetti & meatballs is one of her favorite foods.
Here's the recipe for our time tested marinara sauce. We have been using it for years!
32 cups peeled, quartered tomatoes.
7 peppers chopped (the original recipe calls for 3 red, 4 green. I usually do all green as that is what I often plant)
4 small onions chopped
3 Tablespoons garlic powder
3 Tablespoons basil
2 Tablespoons oregano
1/2 cup salt
1 cup sugar
8-10 cans tomato paste.
Put in a large pot and simmer for a minimum of 2 hours. (I usually do all night).
Fill jars and process in a pressure canner (at 13lbs. for 3001'-6000') 25 minutes for quarts or 20 minutes for pints
Makes approximately 9 quarts.
I love it when you post your recipes. They are always so good!!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the recipe! I'll be needing something to do with our tomatoes this year. That is, if I can remember to keep watering them!
ReplyDeleteLisa-I'm glad you like them. You never know for each family has different preferences.
ReplyDeleteHeather-Thanks so much for you comments. Good luck with the watering.