Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What's round, orange and tangy sweet?



You've got it-Apricots!

My neighbor let us come and pick some
which we have been busily turning into this.




It truly is one my kids favorites!
















Here's how we do it.

After washing and taking out the pits, the apricots are put into a blender. We add in a banana or a cup of crushed pineapples to sweeten things a little.


Blend it all up and then spread onto dryer sheets. 

If your dryer didn't come with sheets don't worry neither did mine. Well, it came with one but it's way to thick to do anything with. Just go to your local hardware store. Buy some thick plastic sheeting (4 or 6 ml). Cut it to fit the size of your drying racks. Viola-drying sheets! I don't spray the sheets with anything. The leather and plastic just pull apart when dry. It takes about 12 hours. I rotate the trays once.

The apricot puree also makes great popsicles


Pour the puree into plastic nut cups. Place in a Popsicle stick that has been cut in half (or one year I was lucky enough to find sticks that small so check in your local store). Then slide into the freezer over night. My kids love it that they are told yes whenever they want a Popsicle.


We also love apple leather! Most of the time I just cheat and spread out applesauce on the dryer sheets. I can then make leather all year long. Perfect for school lunches!

1 comment:

  1. Apricot leather brings back a lot of memories for me! Your gardening, homemaking, and mothering skills amaze me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...