Sunday, September 12, 2010

BE Still

As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints one of the things that plays a key role in our lives is the willingness to serve. Oftentimes this comes in the form of a calling.

Callings are something that all members are asked to do without being paid for and no one calling is more important than another. It is a chance for us to serve others. Some callings make take more of ones time than others but each is very important for the ward to function and for the individual needs of the members to be met.

I just took it for granted that members of the church knew that callings were something we weren't paid for. One Sunday, my teenager daughter shared how they were discussing callings in class. One of the members perked up,

You mean the bishop doesn't get paid?
You mean the prophet doesn't get paid?

She was totally surprised.


Just to set the record straight. Our family isn't enjoying a nice substance to our income because dad is currently serving as the bishop.


For over twelve years I have served in various Primary callings. A while ago I was released as the primary pianist. This meant I no longer had a Sunday calling (just one during the week as activity days leader. I think they'll probably keep me in that calling forever as evidence by they just released all the other leaders except me. That's okay for I do enjoy it).

I have spent the last few months helping my son adjust to nursery. He is now finally to the point where he likes nursery and does fine. He just hates having mom leave. Each week I leave a crying child in the arms of the nursery leader (I love our nursery leaders, they truly are a life saver!) After  2-3 minutes he is fine. He just has to let mom know he would prefer to have me stay.

This means I get to attend Relief Society! Although this is a place that still seems a little foreign and intimidating to me, I am loving the spiritual feast I get each week. I loving being taught a lesson and learning from the comments made by others. It's just what I need. Truly the calling of Relief Society teacher is important.

Last week our lesson centered around how it is important for each of us to take some time and BE still. A time to think, ponder and assess how we feel about life. A time to re focus and feel ready to take on life in  the direction that is best for each one of us individually.

I must say Relief Society has become a place where this happens for me.

But what about during the week?

As I have thought about this, I have realized there are times that I can easily have this. It may not be a long period of time, but little bits here and there.

I'm in the car a lot taking kids to various activities. As this is mostly after school I can often leave the younger ones at home with older siblings. If I just turn off the radio, then it's my BE still time.

I also realized this is one of the reasons why I enjoy gardening, mowing the lawn and canning. (Not to mention I can complete a task that isn't immediately undone).

This past week I have also started to take a few minutes each morning. Usually this is time when my husband mans the fort but sometimes I have to wake up a few minutes earlier. I have made more of an effort to read the scriptures and spend some time to BE still.

I must say, just in the last few days, I have been more aware of times that I am or could BE still. It really hasn't been that hard to do, but I sure have noticed a difference in me.

Are you finding time to BE still?
(Not really looking for a comment just something for you to think about)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...