Powdered Eggs
I have bought a can of these and had it it my food storage for some time. I figured if I had to live off my food storage only it would be hard pressed to bake without eggs. The can has just sat there, though, and every few years I would replace it with a fresh one and throw the old one out.
Recently I read a blog post about using powdered eggs. Here's the link if you want to see it for yourselves. I was motivated to quit throwing out money and give powdered eggs a try.
A few weeks ago I wanted to make zucchini muffins. I was out of eggs so...... we opened that can. And.......there was no difference in taste. Since then I have made other muffins and even tried cookies. They have all turned out the same as always.
I don't know if I'll ever be brave enough to eat these straight or use them in french toast, pancakes or crepes. Maybe if I have to live off my food storage.
For baking, though, I am sold!
It's a great way to rotate them and not having to buy so many fresh eggs is a bonus.
Side note: While we are on the subject of food storage, for any of you that remember this post on powdered milk. We have since started mixing it with 2 percent milk and don't notice any difference. A little healthier!
You inspired me to crack open my can of powdered eggs today when we made apple dumplings. They turned out awesome! Thanks for the push in the "just try it!" direction.
ReplyDeleteI wish we could get them cheaper here -- or frankly, at all. I'd like to use them more often. :)
ReplyDeleteUs, too! Although, thanks for the reminder! We haven't used ours in a while.
ReplyDeleteI forgot I even had some in my storage. We go through so many eggs with baking. Thanks for the tip!
ReplyDelete