Sunday, April 10, 2011

Conference

Last weekend we enjoyed having dad around for Sunday (I could almost get used to that). It's just one of those things that make General Conference weekend something we look forward to.

We have never been really good at sitting down and taking notes for conference. Most of us just fall asleep. We do have it on as we go about activities that aim to help us listen.

One of those is putting together puzzles. A few years ago we where given this one. It has taken at least two or three conferences but this year we finally finished it.

Pretty fitting for our family, right?


We are going to glue it all together, framed it and put it upstairs by our fish tank. It was too difficult to want to put it together again.

Another thing we do in conjunction with conference is a post session re-hash. It involves some sort of candy (used to be chocolate but we had to vary this when Bud Boy came around since he didn't like chocolate). Each person then takes a turn telling something they heard from that session. Most of the time it is the stories but it is a great opportunity for us as parents to make sure we all understood the point they were trying to make.

Some favorites from this years conference was Lynn G. Robins talk. We are definitely planning on spending some more time reading this.

We all loved this statement shared by Elder Holland, "I guess President Harold B. Lee put it best years ago when he said that the gospel is “to comfort the afflicted and to afflict the [comfortable].”

I also enjoyed being able to go the Young Women Broadcast the weekend before conference with my oldest two. What a great theme they have this year of the thirteenth article of faith. One thing I specifically remember was said by Elaine S. Dalton, Young Women General President,

"What can each of you do to be a guardian of virtue? It starts with believing you can make a difference. It starts with making a commitment. When I was a young woman, I learned that some decisions need to be made only once. I wrote my list of things I would always do and things I would never do in a small tablet. It included things like obeying the Word of Wisdom, praying daily, paying my tithing, and committing to never miss church. I made those decisions once, and then in the moment of decision, I knew exactly what to do because I had decided beforehand. When my high school friends said, “Just one drink won’t hurt,” I laughed and said, “I decided when I was 12 not to do that.” Making decisions in advance will help you be guardians of virtue. I hope each of you will write a list of things you will always do and things you will never do. Then live your list."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...