Have you ever thought about what it means to be a black belt?
I know I hadn't. This weekend I had a small glimpse of what this means. Let me tell you it truly is a lot of work. I know I didn't give my sister-in-law enough credit when she earned her black belt a few years ago.
Jolly J had Part 1 of her purple belt test this weekend. Purple belt (if I understand correctly) is four belts away from black. This test took over four hours.
She had to run 2 miles in under 20 minutes (she did it in 19). She then had do 40 push-up and 40 sit-ups. (they do a longer run and more push-ups & sit-ups with each belt).
The rest of the test was spent doing:
- strikes (think punches in boxing only not as much with the fists),
- blocks (just like it sounds;certain movements designed to block punches and kicks to various parts of the body
- kicks (you got it- different ways to kick)
- defense (set movements to defend oneself).
All these different elements have names. The Sensei gives the name and they then have to perform the required action fast and with power (karate tests the brain as well).
The test ended with her breaking 4 boards in 3 minutes. Two with her legs and two with her hands. They have to break more boards with each higher belt rank. We saw some kids break eight boards(within 3 minutes)
And this is only part 1
Part two is in a month (stay tuned later for what that entails).
This is only for purple belt so you can see how much more is required to reach the title of black belt. I for one have a lot more respect for those who claim to be a black belt. We have three in our extended family. Way to go!
Side note: Normally belt tests are all done in one day. A belt black test typically takes 8 hours so you can imagine how much it tests endurance. They also have to submit a report card so good grades is expected as well. Belts above purple also had to write a 2 page essay(s) on assigned topics related to karate. Karate truly expects and teaches a lot in a whole variety of areas.
Oh wow! I knew karate belts were a big deal but I didn't know how much. Great job Jolly J!
ReplyDeleteWow, that's really awesome! If there's ever a time when people can come and watch, I'd love to. Also, good luck with all the soccer stuff! You'll have to let us know when then games are and we'll come to some.
ReplyDelete