The other day I watched a mother as she tenderly cared for her three children all under the age of five. I couldn't help but think how that was me not too long ago. A part of me was sad that those days are gone and my children are growing up.
It is a constant battle for me as a mother to take time to enjoy the here and now. I am constantly thinking ahead, planning, preparing, and organizing the next thing. I am always striving to teach my children and help them to make it to the next stage of life.
All too soon I am going to look back on this current stage of my life and feel sadness it too is gone. Did I enjoy what a have right now? Did I take time to enjoy my children? Did I spend enough time with them? Every once and awhile I get glimpses that life is moving on. I think it as little nudges from our Father in Heaven to say, hey don't focus so much on the future and miss today.
Like the other day when we were discussing and planning upcoming family vacations. My husband commented that we only have about four more years that Karebear may be living with us. Wow that isn't much time.
Yesterday while dropping off some of my kids at school we drove by the Kindergarten drop-off. Outside the door was a little red haired boy. As we passed I could see that tears were streaming down his face. My heart went out to him. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a mother stop her car and run back. As she wrapped her son (I presume) in her arms, my eyes filled with tears. I couldn't help but think of my son, my youngest, and how soon (too soon) he will be leaving for Kindergarten. As I drove home, I was so grateful that that day isn't now and that I have him close by for a couple more years.
It was just the glimpse of the future I needed. To be reminded that someday I'm going to miss these days, as crazy as they may be, and to take the time to treasure and enjoy them.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting!