Monday, October 17, 2011

Saving Money: Credit Cards


Kind of a oxymoron I know. The other day I heard someone say credit cards were eating them alive and they were going to cancel them. I'm all for people finding ways to get out of debt and stay within a budget. For some this is what it takes. For us credit cards is one way we make money.

First off the key is to have a credit card that doesn't have an annual or minimum fee. Second pay the whole bill each month. Interest rates will "eat you alive". Also be able to have a budget and stick to it. If you can't then credit cards aren't for you. If you don't have the money for it in the first place then don't buy it.

We make money by having credit cards (I have two different ones) that offer cash back. Ours currently give 1%. With current bank interests rate at 0.2% we get more money from cash back. Every three months there is also certain areas that if you sign up for them you get 5%. We then pay almost everything with credit card to earn the most amount of money possible.

I love having a statement listing where our money was spent. It also helps keep us on budget for I can go online whenever I want and view the recent activity. It helps in knowing when to spend our money. Like when trying to decide if we should go out to eat. The statement is often categorized. I can view what has been spent at restaurants (plus see expenses I may have not have been aware of such as my husband going out for lunch) and see if we have already spent the budgeted amount for the month.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like what we do too. We have discovercard, and I love the spend analyzer on their site, cuz it really shows how much we're spending on each area (i.e. restaurants) and helps us cut back when needed. We do know lots of people who can't use credit cards wisely and so we're careful to not "encourage" it, but for us it works great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. We use the same card (I think) and we've gotten a TON of casback this year (I think we'll reach the limit this year).
    Love getting my checks. So many people say to get airline miles, but I do do love me some cash. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...