Friday, November 4, 2011

Guilty Pleasure

A few years ago, for an enrichment activity, I volunteered to help out with some of the food. I was asked to make a praline sauce and fell in love with it.

While they used it to top ice cream that is probably the way we use it the least.

We especially love to make it at this time year to go with apple slices.

My absolute favorite is to smother cornbread with it.




Judy's Southern Praline Sauce

1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (I use the very finely chopped; can cut this amount in half)
1/4 cup butter (not margarine, water content is too high)
1 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup white corn syrup
3 Tablespoons flour
small (5 oz) can evaporated milk

Spread nuts on baking sheet; bake at 300 for 15 minutes. Set aside. Melt butter in medium saucepan; add brown sugar, corn syrup, and flour, stirring well. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes,stirring constantly. Remove mixture from heat and let cool til lukewarm. Gradually stir in milk and nuts. It will seem like it isn't going to mix at first, but it will.  Taste great straight from the pot but absolute divine a day later when the nuts have softened a little.



1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! I'll have to try it on cornbread. That sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...