picture here
In preparation for a recent activity day I reviewed a talk given by President Monson entitled, The Divine Gift of Gratitude. In this he shares the story of when Jesus feeds 4,000 with seven loaves and a few fishes. President Monson points out that the Savior took the loaves and fishes and gave thanks. Then a miracle followed-he fed everyone until they were filled and had seven full baskets left over.
President Monson states, "Sincerely giving thanks not only helps us recognize our blessings, but it also unlocks the doors of heaven and helps us feel God's love."
I love this! I have definitely felt this in my life lately. The last few weeks I have stayed pretty busy with a variety of projects. Mostly things centered around this time of year with the holidays and birthdays. Amongst that have been projects that I haven't been able to do the last few months and things in preparation for having a new baby. My husband says I have five months of morning sickness and then five months of nesting. I don't know about that. I do know that I have been so grateful for the timing of things. I don't know how I would survive all that moms do during this holiday time of year if I was still dealing with morning sickness. This is one blessing I have recognized lately and so grateful to the Lord for the timing of things.
Another part of this talk that I loved was this statement:
A grateful heart, then, comes through expressing gratitude to our Heavenly Father for His blessings and to those around us for all that they bring into our lives. This requires conscious effort-at least until we have truly learned and cultivated an attitude of gratitude. Often we feel grateful and intend to express our thanks but forget to do so or just don't get around to it. Someone has said that "feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it."
I know for one that I can do better at expressing my gratitude to others. I loved the gift analogy. Seems especially fitting for this time of year. I hope to do better at actually giving "presents" to those who bless my life.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting!