Monday, April 11, 2011

What's in your bag?



My oldest recently had to do a project for her English class. She had to take a bag and on the outside put five things that showed how people typically perceive her. On the inside she was to put five items that showed how she perceived herself. As I was helping her with this project my initial thoughts were that I was grateful it wasn't my project. I have always had a hard time defining myself.

Most of my life I have probably worried too much about what others think. I fear that sometimes, especially growing up, I choose not to do something because I might be perceived as silly or odd. As I listened to my daughter share what other friends had done with this project, I realized that sometimes it is a good thing to notice what others think of us.

One of the boys in her class brought a Book of Mormon and a tie inside his bag. As my daughter put it, "We were shocked. We had no idea he was a Mormon;we thought he was Protestant or something". This boy thought he was a missionary but wasn't viewed that way by others. Sometimes the way others view us isn't accurate and we may need to notice this and then change.

I have spent some time that last few days thinking about this project and often wondered how would I have fulfilled this project.  I thought why not do my own "bag"? I'm not going to focus so much on the outside. Feel free to do that for me, if you like.  You know in the comments. Everyone could always use a boost to their self-esteem or a course correction as the case may be, right?.

On the outside I would probably put something like organized, caring, musically inclined. My husband was recently asked to share one thing about me that he admired when we first met. He shared that  I was strongly grounded in the gospel. I hope that's still true today.

After much deliberation (I told you this is hard for me). It's a lot like those "getting to know you papers". I always hated those too. For me, it's mostly because I'm really not that opinionated. I'm fairly easy going and like most things so I don't usually have a favorite. Although, I have gotten better at them lately. Maybe it's because I see a value in them or maybe it's because I'm just more opinionated in my old age.

Anyway, here is what I would put in my bag.





I feel like I am just that- average (not fifty-I'm not that old). I know how to do a whole variety of things but nothing I feel I'm very good or proficient at. There are many others who I feel can do what I can only better. I'm often hesitant to share what I can do because people will assume I'm an expert or expect me to know more than I do.




I not a big touchy, feely (yes I made up that word) person.   I really don't like facial, massages, spas. I've tried them and never could make myself relax.



This is really what's most important to me. I'm not that adventurous or one to go out much with friends. My idea of a good time is at home or time spent with my family.



I like card games! My current favorites are 


Bohnanza Game


and  


Hand and Foot




And just for fun I would include


 I love pajamas!






2 comments:

  1. I love pajamas, too! I think you could put a picture of a scale (like the old brass type) on the outside of your bag, because you are balanced. Maybe "average" is how you see it, but I think being so even, or balanced, is a great quality! I, on the other hand, would probably have fire and ice on my bag! I'd rather have a balanced scale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had to do that once when I was in YW. It was kind of nice to be thoughtful about myself for once, although i Have no idea what I Stuck in teh bag. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...