I have spent the last few Sundays at home with our baby. In attempt to have a little bit of a feel of Sunday edification I have turned on the Mormon Tabernacle broadcast-Music and the Spoken Word. A couple of weeks ago, after this broadcast, a program aired where some suggestions for ways to make conference fun for kids were shared. The featured family had taken time to find out something about each of the 15 apostles. They then found a food item related to what they had learned and eat that item during conference.
Such example where eating cookies while Elder Cook spoke. Russell M Nelson was a heart surgeon so they ate carrots. The interviewer asked how they came up with something for President Monson. The father of this family works for KSL news. One time President Monson was there for an interview. The father got permission to ask him a question. Can you imagine? Here he was talking to the prophet. He could ask him any question he wanted and the question he wanted to ask was what was his favorite treat. He said President Monson was a little taken back by the question. He then responded that orange sherbet was a favorite treat.
Of course my kids were all excited when I shared this. Who wouldn't want to eat treats all through conference? I wasn't so sold on the idea since we already have a tradition that after each session, while eating treats, we share things that we remember hearing or were especially touched by. I didn't want to give up this tradition for it has been a time to further re-enforce principles that pertain to our family.
Saturday afternoon I found myself at the store. I got a little chuckle out of a conversation I over heard between two checkers. Basically they commented how it had been the weirdest day. It would be practically dead for two hours and then extremely hectic. Then it would die down again for about two hours. Only in Utah would conference have such an effect on the grocery store.
Any way, on a spur I decided to pick up some orange sherbert. Guess what? They were all out of orange sherbert. I bought rainbow instead (it did have orange in it) and the next day we enjoyed eating this while President Monson spoke.
I don't know if we will make it a tradition but it was something fun for this time.
Other special things from this sessions of conference were:
- Snuggling a sleepy baby.
- Hearing a four year old yell out the names of the apostles that he recognized. Pretty darn cute to hear him say Uchtdorf.
- My girls seeing three people they knew in the choirs-a former primary teacher who just left on her mission, the elementary school choir teacher and of course David Archuleta.
- Playing Blockus while listening (it is now Bud Boy's current new obsession).
- Being reminded that President Monson has said to have the courage to not judge.
- To not let anger consume us or seek revenge from President Uchtdorf's talk. Loved this one! Will be one to read again.
- To make sure we write down spiritual experiences.
- To live the gospel not just be active in the church.
- To not be like Lot whose tent door faced Sodom and Gomorrah but have our focus be on the temple rather than the world.
- Use prayer and teaching by the spirit more as we raise this family.

Cool story about the prophet. While I shopped sat afternoon I was thinking about how busy utah must be during those two hours! not so much out here!
ReplyDelete