Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My kids

The other day I read a post written by a mother of a handicapped child. This son was born healthy but had a reaction to a vaccine which left him physically changed. It was his sixteenth birthday and she shared how sometimes she allows herself at certain milestones to think about what life might have been. It was that same week that I read another blog where a dear sweet child was called home after an unfortunate accident.

Prior to this time I was dealing with some issues with some of my children that I felt to be overwhelming. I was reminded.....

One of my main desires in my pregnancies was to have a healthy child. I know we all have that desire, but for me it was a real fear of having a handicapped child. Please don't read prejudice into this. I have nothing against handicapped children. They have a special place in my heart.  I am well aware of how special they are and the blessing they can be. My husband has a handicapped sister and she truly is a blessing in our family. My father-in-law is the first to state he believes she is here for him and the lessons he needed to learn. They have a special relationship and she truly adores her father. If we were to have had a handicapped child I would have been fine with it, but that doesn't mean it was something I would wish for.

I was quite sick for the first 20 weeks of each pregnancy. I made the personal decision not to take prescription medication for I knew if something was to happen that could have been linked back to medication I would never forgive myself.  (Please note this was a personal decision and something I don't feel is best for everyone).

I was blessed with healthy children. Just having them born that way is no guarantee though. Things happen in life where this may change or they may even die. I was reminded how grateful that right now my child are alive and healthy. Even though they are strong willed at times, I am so grateful that they are able to experience life and it's traditional milestones. Being reminded that I endured some pretty rough times dealing with morning sickness was the perspective I needed that I can endure these particular challenges. I went through a lot to get them here. I can handle raising them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...